Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Old to New

Jon and I have been reading through the Bible in a year. We'll be done with the Old Testament by the end of October. Eight solid months of nothing but Old Testament. No study with it, just taking in the story. I've read  most of the Old Testament before, but never in such a concentrated dose. (Speed reading it in college for an OT class doesn't count.)

One thing I love about the Bible are some of the more mysterious passages and how if you put two equally brilliant and reverent scholars in a room together they would not see certain things the same way. Like the book of Ezekiel. I'm dying to know about those wheels in the air. But who can really know until we see God face to face?

This mysterious component has also been the frustrating thing about reading the OT straight through without a study. Sometimes I feel so eluded by the greater meaning.

The greatest value I've taken away from this experience, aside from the sheer discipline of sticking with the reading (a big deal for me) is I feel I have a broad-brush-stroke image of the story. To me, it looks like this:



I see the dots in the heart representing God's people. They are sewn together by cords of God's love for them, tied to Him through His covenant, yet hurting and bleeding because of their unfaithfulness.

It's a bloody mess, yet surrounded and hemmed in by love.

That's all I'm going to say about that because I feel if I write anymore I'm going to muck it up. I'll let you look and ponder because I believe in the power of visual art. Ponder away.


I will tell you I'm going to do a happy dance in November when we move into the New Testament. Because to me, the New Testament looks like this:







The artists: Heart & Photograph

2 comments:

dawn said...

I love your interpretation of that first piece! I think it's a great representation of God's people in the OT. Seriously, I love it. :0)

Becky said...

I think those visual representations of the OT and NT are perfect.

Post a Comment