Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Goodness in the Land

This is what I see from where I sit in life. From the era and country I've been born, the city where I was raised, the heritage of those before me, the parents who carefully raised me, to my own dearly loved family; this is what I see:

I see men working hard to provide for children they adore and wives they love.

I see women who push through fatigue to intentionally build into the lives of little ones they raise.

I see children loved, growing, thriving.

I see friends earnestly seeking time to soak in the presence of a Holy God. Seeking to know Him, Love Him, Trust Him, every day.

I see women leading other women into a life more free of anxiety, self-focus, sadness, trauma, anger; into a life more full of grace, healing, joy.

I see teachers, their eyes shinning with love for students, energetically guiding with wisdom.

http://www.etsy.com/people/shirae
I see a couple who made a major lifestyle change start a food pantry to serve the needy in my community. I have seen them labor with their hands till they bleed for people who are struggling to feed their families.

I see pastors leading churches into what it really looks like to do justice, love mercy and walk humbly with our God.

I see organizations filled with compassionate people diligently working (and succeeding) to release children from poverty in Jesus' name in holistic ways--meeting their physical, emotional, social, spiritual and educational needs.


Of course, some days (or seasons) I'm half-blind to the surrounding goodness and instead see minor inconveniences looming bigger than they are. I see the distance between where I am and where I want to be like a gaping chasm. Or I get stuck in my own tiredness, irritability or selfishness. Or I see the news. (Enough said on that one.) 

But right now I am seeing the good in a big way and feel like declaring it and letting my mind stay there for a bit.

I am feeling the weight of goodness surrounding me like a cozy blanket from where I sit in my space and time of life. I see shiny happy people holding hands. Go ahead, sing it... :)

What goodness do you see in your city, time, place? I'd love to hear about it!




**Be sure to check out the artist's page on etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/shirae. Don't  you love her illustrations?!

4 comments:

dawn said...

" But right now I am seeing the good in a big way and feel like declaring it and letting my mind stay there for a bit. "

Declare it, Becca! Love this!

Chris said...

Great Philippians 4:8ing it Becca!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for drawing my mind & heart to meditate on the goodness all around and for letting me "sit in it" with you. :)
CARLY

Becca D said...

Dawn, thanks. :) I feel like sometimes just writing or naming something helps. Another reason the 1000 gifts journal is such a fabulous idea! Chris--ha ha! I went and read that passage again. I love that.
Carly-well, you're welcome. Thanks for sitting with me in life. :)

Post a Comment